Join the Federation
Click here for more informatino.
Please take part in our
monthly poll - Click here

Join our newsletter

Policing News

Man critical after Anfield attack before Liverpool-Roma clash

A 53-year-old man remains in a critical condition after he was attacked outside Anfield before Liverpool's Champions League semi-final against Roma. Two men from Rome, aged 25 and 26, have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, Merseyside Police said. The victim, thought to be a Liverpool fan from Ireland, has a head injury and is being treated in hospital. In a statement, Liverpool FC said it was "shocked and appalled" and would be offering the victim "our full support". The attack happened outside The Albert pub in Walton Breck Road at about 19:35 BST on Tuesday - 10 minutes before kick-off. Det Insp Paul Speight said: "Witnesses report that the victim was hit with a belt and then fell to the ground. "His condition is currently described as critical and his next of kin have been informed."

Former Salvation Army members jailed for Blackpool child sex abuse

Three men who were members of the Salvation Army - including a father and son - have been jailed for sexually abusing young girls. Trevor Worthington, 88, his son Philip Worthington, 64, and William Tomkinson, 70, were convicted of charges including indecent assault and attempted rape. The assaults against two victims took place between 1971 and 1991, their trial at Preston Crown Court heard. Another man, Derek Smith, 68, was handed a suspended prison sentence. At an earlier hearing, he admitted indecent assault. All four men attended the Salvation Army Citadel in Coronation Street, Blackpool when the abuse took place, police said.

Steven Willis death: Alleged murder victim had 'huge heart

The victim of an alleged Teesside murder has been described as a "loving young man with a huge heart". The body of Steven Willis, 27, was discovered at Meadowcroft Road in Middlesbrough at 22:30 BST on 16 April. Five people have appeared in court charged with murder and a further two were arrested and later released on suspicion of assisting an offender. In a statement, the father-of-two's family said their futures "would never be the same again".

Fordingbridge toddler death: Mother in court on murder charge

A woman has appeared in court charged with the murder of her three-year-old daughter. Police were called to a house in Whitsbury Road, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, on 19 October. Bethan Colebourn was taken to hospital where she was later pronounced dead. A post-mortem examination revealed she died from drowning. Claire Colebourn, 36, did not enter a plea and was remanded to appear at Winchester Crown Court on 26 July.

Terrorism officers to hold Rochester suspect for longer

A man arrested as part of a counter-terrorism investigation is being held by police for an extra five days. The 26-year-old was apprehended in Warren Wood Road, Rochester, and Kent Police obtained a warrant of further detention from magistrates. However, due to ongoing enquires, this has been extended until 30 April. The man is being questioned on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism. He remains in police custody and the investigation is ongoing. He was arrested at a house on 18 April, and officers searched the property until Friday. They said there was no cause for alarm for local residents.

University of Brighton murder accused 'sounded shocked'

A man phoned the Samaritans and told a volunteer he had "stabbed somebody" on the night he allegedly murdered his boss, a court has heard. David Browning, 51, of Willow Drive, Seaford, admits killing 46-year-old Jillian Howell but denies murder. University of Brighton payroll boss Ms Howell was found stabbed at her home in Sandgate Road in October. The Samaritans volunteer who took the call said Mr Browning sounded coherent and engaging, but "quite shocked". Hove Crown Court heard Mr Browning, a married father of two, had gone to Ms Howell's house for dinner on 25 October. Jurors were told when he made the call in the early hours of 26 October, he said: "I've done something really bad." The Samaritans volunteer, who used the pseudonym Barbara Smith in court, said: "He told me he'd stabbed somebody." She added: "He'd said it was his boss. It was a woman."

Chairman - Mr. Mark Nelson
Chief Exec. - Mr. Nigel Dennis


We are here to help you!