Ask the Fed

If you would like to ask a question please use this form and we will put the answers to frequently asked questions below.

Questions & Answers

On Duty Incidents
As a subscribing member of the Police Federation, you are eligible to access free legal advice if the allegation against you is classed as Gross Misconduct or is of a criminal nature and is made whilst you were performing the role of an on duty police officer.
Off Duty Incidents
You will still be entitled to Federation advice in respect of Off Duty incidents
What Do the IOPC do?
The IOPC oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and sets the standards by which the police should handle complaints. They are independent and make their decisions entirely independently of the Police and Government. They are not part of the police.
Police Contact Incidents
Police Contact Incidents - you may be a Key Police Witness If you are involved in,or witness to, an incident where someone dies or is seriously injured, you may be classed as a Key Police Witness and need, and are entitled to Legal, Medical and/or Federation advice BEFORE you give ANY type of response or account.

Should you be involved in any of the following incidents, or are unsure of anything when asked for an account, reserve your position and immediately contact the FOM/Control Room, who will contact the on-call Federation Representative for you.
  • Fatal or Serious Injury RTCs
  • Suicides or death following police contact or following release from Custody
  • Deaths in Police Custody
  • Firearms Incidents resulting in death, serious injury or negligent discharge
  • IOPC/PSD Investigations
  • Allegations around the use of force

Remember - Protect Yourself - seek advice before you say anything. Do not be pressured into giving an account - it's not easy saying no to someone of higher rank or the IOPC - but just say that you will be "reserving your position until you have sought legal and/or Federation advice".

 © CNPF. Privacy Policy